Boring’s Not So Boring
The Boring Way- Our Company Culture
When Boring Business Systems was founded in 1924, we knew that we had to be more than just another business to give our customers the support they needed. So we became a family, which would support the families that make up other businesses. We are passionate about offering solutions to our clients which help them run productively and efficiently, just like we do. This passion starts from within the Boring family. We have a strong culture that helps all Boring associates to strive for excellence, find opportunities to make work fun and leave a positive impression on all the people we encounter.
There are 27 fundamentals that act as the foundation for our unique culture:
- Do the right thing, always. Demonstrate an unwavering commitment to do the right thing in every action you take, and in every decision you make, even when no one is looking.
- Think team first. Be there for one another, and provide rigorous support, including honest and direct feedback.
- Assume positive intent. Work from the assumption that people are good, fair and honest, and that the intent behind their actions is positive.
- Practice blameless problem-solving. Focus your attention on developing solutions, rather than pointing fingers or dwelling on problems.
- Honor commitments. Do what you say you’re going to do, when you say you’re going to do it.
- Deliver legendary customer service. Do the little things, as well as the big things, that create extraordinary experiences for our customers.
- Listen generously. Give people your undivided attention, without interrupting. Be present and engaging.
- Speak straight. Speak honestly in a way that moves the action forward.
- Make quality personal. Take pride in the quality of everything you touch and everything you do.
- Take ownership. Take personal responsibility for making good things happen.
- “Bring it” every day. Approach every day with focus, energy, urgency and enthusiasm.
- Celebrate success. Regularly give meaningful acknowledgement and appreciation.
- Go the extra mile. Be willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.. plus some.
- Follow-up everything. Follow up on every action and take responsibility to see that it gets completed.
- Be a fanatic about response time. Respond to questions and concerns quickly.
- Practice the “human touch.” Treat people as individuals and show them you care.
- Treasure, protect and promote our reputation. Consider how your actions affect our collective reputation, and act in a way that brings honor to us all.
- Be clear with expectations. Create clarity and avoid misunderstandings by discussing expectations.
- Embrace change. Nothing stays the same. Be excited by change, and be energized by both the challenges and the possibilities it creates.
- When in doubt, communicate personally. When delivering difficult or complex messages, speak “live” rather than hiding behind email and voicemail.
- Deliver results. Set high goals, use measurements to track your progress and hold yourself accountable for achieving results.
- Pay attention to details. The goal is to get things right, not simply to get them done.
- Think and act like an owner. Ask yourself, “What would I do if this were my company? Will this help the company to succeed?”
- Be relentless about continuous improvement. Constantly evaluate every aspect of your job to find ways to improve.
- Make a difference. Be an active part of your community by getting involved and participating.
- Always remember we are family. While we may disagree, and even argue from time to time, we genuinely care for each other.
- Keep things fun. While our passion for excellence is real, remember that the world has bigger problems than our daily challenges at work.. Laugh a little!
At Boring, we actively practice these fundamentals to assure that our culture remains vibrant, our family remains close and the families we work with remain satisfied.